Pets to Pacific Islands

We can transport your pets to most of the Pacific Islands.

Popular destinations we service are:

  • Tahiti, French Polynesia
  • Fiji
  • Samoa, Apia
  • Samoa, American
  • Tonga
  • Cooks, Rarotonga
  • Niue
  • Solomon Islands
  • New Caledonia
  • Vanuatu

Services are available from Auckland and Sydney

Specific Requiremnets for pets travelling to Pacific Island Nations:

All of the Pacific Island Nations have strict biosecurity controls for entry of animals including household pets.

The required treatments can be up to 30 days before departure. Talk to your AirCare Pets travel consultant about your travel plans and we will provide a schedule of the necessary steps for your particular destination.

At the completion of the preliminary steps we will complete the documentation and obtain an official Government export certificate to travel with the pets.


Some Pacific Nations require an entry permit to be issued prior to travel. These are to be applied for by the animal owner or person receiving the animals. We must have these permit details well in advance of the flight date.


A period of stay in quarantine facilities applies for some countries. This should be booked when applying for your import permit. At time of writing the following countries require a quarantine stay:

  • Fiji
  • New Caledonia



We use the following airlines for travel to the Pacific Islands:

Air New Zealand

Air Tahiti Nui

Fiji Airways

Virgin Australia

Air Vanuatu

Usually we can book your pets on the same flight as yourselves. Advise us of your preferred dates early and we will check suitability.


 Request a quoteA


General requirements for pets travelling from New Zealand:

Microchip (aka Transponder)

All animals being exported must be clearly identified with a 15 digit microchip. The chip must be inserted and checked PRIOR to any export oriented treatments or vaccinations.

The number sequence must be recorded as having been verified when all treatments have been administered. If you are contemplating a move overseas you should have your pet microchipped by your vet as soon as possible.

Animal Welfare Export Certificate (AWEC)

All animals leaving New Zealand on an international flight greater than 5 hours must have an Animal Welfare Export Certificate, known simply as an AWEC.

The certificates are issued by the Ministry of Primary Industries official vet office. AirCare Pets normally undertake this process as part of the export procedure carried out the day before departure.

The vet will inspect the animal and assess its ‘fitness to fly’ as well as check the travel cage and itinerary for adherence with IATA standards and the general requirements of the NZ Animal Welfare Act.

An AWEC is not required for travel to Australia from New Zealand.

Zoosanitary Certificate

This is the official MPI veterinary certificate which accompanies the animal and contains all the veterinary and biosecurity details required by the destination country. We prepare this document on behalf of the owner and submit the document, test results, vaccinations details etc for the Official NZ Government Vet to check and stamp the formal travel document. We process these documents to the airline and the receiving Customs station where required.

Only registered exporters can complete this process.

Import Permits:

Some countries require the owner to obtain an import permit for any animal entering their country.

In general these permits must be applied for by the owner or the intending owner residing in the country of destination. Import Permits should be applied for well in advance of the pet’s travel date.

The permit must be supplied to our office for inclusion in the official travel documents. Many countries require the permit number to be shown on the airline records, it is best to forward us the details as soon as you receive them.

Countries requiring Import Permits:

  • South Africa
  • Singapore
  • Japan
  • China
  • Hong Kong
  • Hawaii
  • New Caledonia
  • Tahiti
  • Most of the smaller Pacific Island Nations


Quarantine stay on arrival at destination is required for:

  • New Caledonia
  • Tahiti
  • Fiji

This should be booked by the owner (or intending owner) in the destination country. It is normally booked as part of the Import Permit process.

Check with AirCare for updates.

The above is a list of the requirements for popular travel destinations and their requirements at time of printing. For destinations not on the list and for the latest updates we recommend discussing your travel needs as soon as possible with an AirCare Pet Travel Consultant and receive all the latest details.